The Vancouver Writers Fest’s annual youth writing contest is open to all students enrolled in grades 8-12 in British Columbia. Contestants can submit either fiction or non-fiction short stories.
The 2019 contest was judged by award winning author, Monique Grey Smith, with winners announced on Friday, June 21. The next writing contest will open in Spring 2020.
Contest Rules (Contest Now Closed for 2019):
- The contest is open to all writers in grades 8-12 who are attending a school or being taught in a home-school environment in British Columbia.
- Entries will be accepted for previously unpublished short stories (fiction or non-fiction): 1,500 word limit.
- Entries are judged blind. Please do not put your name on your story, in the file you have uploaded or in the file name.
- Entries must be submitted in MS Word or PDF formats. Please use standard margins, 12-point font and double spacing.
- Winners are selected by a panel of professionals from the publishing and book industry.
Sign-up here for more information on the Vancouver Writers Festival youth programs.