A statement from the Board of Directors: The Vancouver Writers Fest recognizes the systemic imbalances that exist and persist in the environments we create and work within. We recognize the ongoing work of members of our community, who work in the face of great barriers to right those imbalances, and we are committed to working together and in solidarity toward the goal of a more equitable and just environment for our authors, audiences, volunteers, staff, and communities. In pursuit of these goals, we commit to utilizing our resources, identifying our internal biases, and applying our varied privileges and skills with purpose. In this process, we commit to remaining open and accountable to our mistakes. We remain grateful to the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh people for their shared knowledge and guidance on these lands, as we attempt to move forward in a good way, fostering a world in which the transformative power of books and ideas is the foundation of an empathetic, inspired and just society on these unceded territories.
The Vancouver Writers Fest strives to create a welcoming space for everyone to engage with ideas that can transform our world. Safety, inclusion and acceptance are essential components of our Festival and our values.
- Mobility access – all Festival venues are accessible to people using mobility aids.
- Reduced ticket prices – for seniors and youth under 30.
- Free or reduced-price – for community organizations and individuals impeded by cost.
- Gender-neutral – facilities at all our venues.
- Courtesy seating – for anyone with mobility challenges, physical disabilities or chronic pain.
- Scents – as a courtesy to fellow patrons, please limit the use of heavily scented perfumes and products.
- Hearing impairment – we provide ASL interpretation at events on request.
- School subsidies – for school groups to assist with ticket and travel costs.
- Free programming – the 2019 Festival offers a full day of free events on Saturday October 26, 2019. In addition, many VWF events are free of charge including our year-round education outreach programs and our Incite series in partnership with the VPL.
For more information on how to access courtesy seating, community ticket pricing, school subsidies, and to request ASL interpretation (two weeks before the event date), please email email@example.com.
Creating dialogue has been at the heart of our Festival for over 30 years. We look forward to seeing you at the 2019 Festival!