The Vancouver Writers Fest offers a spring and fall Writers in Residence program to two local elementary, middle or high schools in British Columbia
What about: Each spring and fall, the Vancouver Writers Fest offers a Writer in Residence to two schools in outlying BC communities.
Inspiring, immersive and imaginative, the Writer in Residence program provides youth with the opportunity to develop their passion for reading and writing by working closely with a professional writer.
During each residency, the class, school and community benefit from activities that include:
- Five days of writing workshops with one group of students at the school resulting in a completed project;
- An author presentation for the entire school;
- A workshop specifically created for teachers;
- A reading and presentation at a public community event, such as a library or bookshop.
The Vancouver Writers Fest covers all author fees, transportation and per diem costs.
“Participating in the Writers in Residence Program with Erin Bow was a highlight of my 20-year teaching career […] I am still hearing from parents about how much their son or daughter loved the week they spent with Erin and what an impact she had on everyone. I feel very fortunate to have met Erin and witness the impact she had on my students.”
– Nicola Kuhn, Teacher-Librarian, Rossland Summit School, Rossland.
Writers in Residence are announced at the beginning of each season. For further information about the program, or to apply on behalf of your school, contact Nafiza Azad, Education Coordinator.
The Fall 2017 Writers in Residence was generously sponsored by Central Mountain Air.