Dream of seeing yourself onstage at the Vancouver Writers Fest one day? Submit your best, unpublished writing to our Short Story and Poetry Contest. Past contest winners include Festival authors and many other talented writers from across Canada.
The 2017 contest will be judged by authors, Théodora Armstrong, Chelene Knight and Sam Wiebe.
PLEASE NOTE: We are currently experiencing issues with PayPal. To pay for your submission(s), please call the office at 604-681-6330 at either extension 115 or 116 between the hours of 10am and 4pm PDT with your name, submission title, Visa/MasterCard number and expiry date. After hours, you may call 604-681-6330 x109 to leave a message with your name, submission title, Visa/MasterCard number and expiry date. Deadline for payment is Friday, September 8 at 12:00 noon PDT.
Contest closes Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 5:00pm.
Poetry: $500 cash prize + publication in subTERRAIN magazine and writersfest.bc.ca + editorial evaluations of written works provided courtesy of FriesenPress (value $750).
Short Story: $500 cash prize + publication in subTERRAIN magazine and writersfest.bc.ca + editorial evaluations of written works provided courtesy of FriesenPress (value $750).
$350 cash prize + publication on writersfest.bc.ca
Thank you to our generous sponsor, FriesenPress.
Jenny Yiu of Richmond, BC for “Leftovers”
Cristina Melo of Coquitlam, BC for “Remember?”
Chloe Burns of Edmonton, AB for “Thaw”
Chelsea Comeau of New Westminster, BC for “Ketchikan”
Click on the name of each entry to read it online.
Adult Writing Contest Rules:
- Entries will be accepted only for previously unpublished work in each category: Poetry (any style): 500 word limit; Creative Short Fiction: 1,500 word limit.
- Entries are judged blind. Please do not put your name on your story or poem in the file you have uploaded or in the file name.
- There is a $15 entry fee for each short story or poem you enter in the contest, payable online through PayPal.
- Entries must be submitted in MS Word or PDF formats. Please use standard margins, 12-point font and double spacing.
- Winners are selected by a panel of professionals from the publishing and book industry.
- Entries must be uploaded and payment confirmed by 5pm on Tuesday, September 5, 2017.
- Winners will be announced on Monday, October 16, 2017.
- The editorial evaluation from FriesenPress comprises detailed feedback from a professional editor about the strengths and weaknesses of a manuscript.