Help us to make the 2017 Vancouver Writers Fest a success by registering as a volunteer. Volunteer roles are available for a variety of skill levels and availabilities during the Festival and throughout the year, including box office, front of house, production, transportation, food and beverage and more.
Each year, 300+ volunteers contribute 3,900 hours to the Festival and help us build a vibrant literary community in Vancouver – will you join them?
Volunteer registration for 2017 will open on August 24. Please note: returning volunteers will be scheduled first, followed by new volunteers.
Volunteers scheduled for a minimum of 12 hours receive one free ticket to a Festival event, awarded through the Volunteer Ticket Lottery. Scheduled volunteers will be notified about how to submit lottery choices.
- Volunteers can sometimes see events which they are working. This depends on the assignment and the event, and is at the discretion of supervising staff.
- Free admission is also possible for events where unsold seating is still available, on a first-come-first-served standby basis.
- 10% discount at the Festival Bookstore (rear of Performance Works, 1218 Cartwright St., Granville Island). Show your volunteer badge.
- Free passage on the False Creek Ferries during the Festival Oct 17-22.
- Volunteer Lounge
- Volunteer party and open mic
- Reference letters on request
- Laughter and the opportunity to meet new people and learn new skills!
12 hour minimum commitment required; volunteers committing to the 12 hour minimum receive priority scheduling.
- Volunteers unable to commit to the 12 hour minimum may still be included, but at a later point in the overall scheduling process and are not guaranteed placement.
- Volunteers who work all of their hours prior to the Festival are asked to serve more than the 12 hour minimum, ie 15-20 hours. This is because they will be free during Festival Week to see events, whereas Festival Week volunteers will be busy fulfilling their assignments.
Shift times vary depending on your assignment. Some shifts start as early as 7 am and evening shifts can run until (and occasionally past) midnight!